Steps to consider in the event of a fire in your commercial business
A fire in your commercial business can be catastrophic. Here are some steps to keep in mind in the event of a fire:
- Activate the building alarm and contact 911
- If a minor fire appears controllable, immediately direct someone in the area to notify a supervisor. Then promptly direct the charge of the fire extinguisher toward the base of the flame and sweep the extinguisher around the burning area
- On large fires that do not appear controllable, immediately activate the building alarm and direct someone to contact a supervisor. Close all doors while exiting the building to reduce oxygen and slow the spread of the fire. Do NOT lock the doors as this will prevent access by fire or emergency rescue crews
- Assist in the evacuation of the building. Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire, so be prepared to stay near the floor to avoid smoke
- During the evacuation, and once outside, move to the area designated as your building's assembly area. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews
Following these steps may reduce the impact of a fire and keep your employees safe. Financing is available!