Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Damage Tips from SERVPRO of North Knoxville
If your property has been affected by water damages, whether from leaks or storms SERVPRO of North Knoxville is here to help. While your safety is always the main priority, there are a few things that we suggest doing while you wait for our professionals to arrive. Be sure to stay aware of electrical hazards as water is obviously a conductor of electricity. Slip and fall hazards are also a big concern when dealing with water damage. Lastly, if you are going to attempt to remove any of your belongings remember that wet items will be quite a bit heavier than they were dry.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (865) 947-9992
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.